FSBC Church History

 

1947 – The First Southern Baptist Church of Waterford, California was organized July 13, 1947—-beginning as a Mission of the First Southern Baptist Church of Manteca, California. The church was officially organized with 29 charter members and met in the Waterford Women’s Club House. Reverend Sam Bonetati was called as the first pastor. The first Deacons–Levi Brewer, Sam Bryant and Sam Jones were ordained on September 14, 1947. The annual budget was $2500. On October 15, the church trustees signed incorporation papers.

1948 – Byron F. Todd became the 2nd pastor of the church in May. They lived in the parsonage on “First” and “La Gallina.”

1951 – In August the church bought lots where our present sanctuary stands. The sanctuary and educational wing were built for approximately $37,000 and were dedicated on October 23, 1954. Reverend Doyle Hughes was pastor. In December, the first Baptisms in the new church building were conducted.

1967 – A new parsonage was built on Welch Street.

1972 – A multi-purpose building was completed and dedicated in May. The cost was approximately $77,000.

1981 – In 1981, the Church added the Byron F. Todd Christian School for pre school children. The school met in the educational wing as did the Church. The school was a blessing to our community. Sue Fowler was the first director. On August 9, 1981, the educational wing of the church was damaged by fire, and the rest of the building was smoke damaged. The Church met in the multi purpose building for worship services until the auditorium was repainted.

1983 – Millie Jenkins was hired as director of Byron F. Todd pre-school and child care.

1984 – In April 1984 “Super Seniors” was started and it is continuing monthly. The Church adopted a revised constitution and set up a Church Council and Committee structure to report to the Church body at Business meetings.

1989 – Dale Brister was called as Pastor in June, 1989. Dale helped many to discern their Spiritual Gifts while emphasizing evangelism and discipleship.

1991 – John Carlton & Dennis Blagg were licensed to the Gospel Ministry. They were later ordained by FSBC.

1992 – The Church approved building plans for more space and engaged the Titus Company to raise the $568,000 needed to build. The Church adopted Kherson Baptist Church in the Ukraine as a sister Church.

1994 – In October Reverend Richard Barker came as pastor. The outreach and ministry of the church was greatly blessed under his leadership.

1995 – In March a 2nd worship service began each Sunday at 8:00 A.M. In August several people were added to the church staff. Dennis Blagg – Associate Pastor; Lynn Funkhouser – Associate Pastor Music; Curtis Medders – Associate Pastor Evangelism and Discipleship; Dwight Stubblefield – Associate Pastor Youth Ministry.

1997 – In January, the church approved the Church Council’s recommendation that we try to purchase the (Napa Hardware) property (Corner of Welch and “E”). In April the new 46 space parking lot was installed with donated equipment and labor.

1998 – The playground area for the Elementary School was completed by the fall. The completion of the porch and new entrance doors at the back foyer were also installed by the fall of 1998.